Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dinosaur VS. Bedtime

This week my book talk was on Dinosaur VS. Bedtime by Bob Shea.
It is a very short book about a dinosaur who thinks he is so awesome that nothing can stop him.  He proves this statement by going against everyday activities and winning against each one.  ROAR!

Then when it comes to bedtime, Dinosaur is no match and bedtime wins.
In the book Dinosaur roars a lot, at least 3 times on each page.  When I first read it, I thought it might be a good idea to teach the students "roar" as a sight word, and when reading this book in class have them roar each time it comes up in the story.
I really enjoyed this book!  I believe that many kids can find a connection because the obstacles that Dinosaur faces are activities that a lot of younger kids struggle with (talking adults, tall slide, a bowl of food, taking a bath.) Kids can try to avoid all of these things if they want, but it is inevitable, everybody falls asleep.

6 comments:

  1. This is a cute book! I also think it is a good Idea using it as a sight word book! I think that it would be fun to ask the children to draw a picture and call it (child's name) vs.. whatever they may like. it would be a fun chance to get them to use their imagination in the classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^I love your lesson plan idea!

    This sounds like a super cute book! All the children would love this book because everyone loves dinosaurs! Especially young children. Its great that this has sight words for the children to follow along while reading. A lot of great discussions would also come up after reading this book about some daily things that children need to do but may not be a fan of doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this book, I think it is perfect for bringing in sight words and have the children interact with the book. Using sight words definitely makes it funner for children to pay attention and really know what is going one, the bad part about reading to children is that they may stop listening and get bored. Also who doesnt love dino's!! I also think that it is a great book to read to your children when you have children, because I know it is a mission to get my nephew to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like a good good book that many little kids can enjoy! I can already picture my little guy giggling his head off from listening to me read it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds like a really fun read aloud book! It sounds engaging and the illustrations look really fun! Everyone loves dinosaurs! Your lesson plan idea sounds like a lot of fun! Overall, this sounds like an enjoyable book that students can really engage in and learn sight words effectively!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think this is a great book to have the children be engaged in reading it. I think it is also not only a good book for school, but also for a personal library.

    ReplyDelete