Friday, April 5, 2013

Cook-A-Doodle-Doo


I did my book talk on Cook-A-Doodle by Janet Stevens.  This book is about a rooster who one day decides he is tired of eating the same old chicken feed.  He finds an old cook book that his grandma had left hidden in the chicken coop.  He decides to make a strawberry shortcake and he gets his help from a few of his friends Potbelly Pig, Iguana, and Turtle.  Each of his friends have a special way of helping, whether it makes the process more productive or not.  In the end something bad happens and the characters become discouraged and began to bicker.  Rooster quickly reminds them that they made the cake as a team and they will always be a good team.

This book was not on my book list but after coming across it, I enjoyed it so much that I asked if it was ok to share it.  First of all it is a great way to introduce measurement.  What I like the most is that it covers misconceptions that young students could have when learning about measurement.  For example they figure out they need a few tablespoons of one ingredient and a few teaspoons of another.  Iguana, super confident looks under the table for the tablespoon and in the tea pot for the teaspoon.  Rooster then corrects him and shows him what a tablespoon and teaspoon really are.  It really is a great book to open up a lesson on measurement.

I can really connect with this book because I love to bake.  Sometimes when baking, I become discouraged when I don't get the recipe quite right.  I wish I had Rooster there to encourage me!

3 comments:

  1. Great choice! Along with the measurements, this book seems like a great tool to teach about team work or lack of if you decided to compare it with the book, "The Little Red Hen." In that book, the hen ends up doing all the work herself and her friends want to receive the same benefits from all her work. Even though the plan didn't go how the animals wanted it to in this story, it's great that the Rooster pointed out that the most important thing was the team work aspect. I'd definitely want to use this story in my classroom; it'd be a fun way to start a discussion on the underlying lessons it teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki-
    I love including food in my classrooms and I know that this book would be really fun for kids because just about everyone connects with texts about delicious food. I'm glad you found this and shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the little tips about this recipe in the margin were genius! Love this book, it helps me so much mostly because I can't cook.

    ReplyDelete